Friday, August 2, 2013

My Elle Woods Moment

If you're familiar with the "Legally Blonde" franchise, you know that the main character Elle Woods uses hair analogies in during litigation and while addressing Congress. It always starts out sounding like sorority house babble, but ends making an excellent point.

I had my Elle Woods moment today when I realized that my relationship with my hair is a metaphor for my relationship with myself. Stay with me on this one...

Growing up my hair was frizzy and awkward. All I wanted was straight, long, glossy hair that would, with little effort, look pretty down and adorable up. All throughout high school I tried whatever remedies my allowance could afford, but nothing worked. I would stay up late watching infomercials about miracle products that would heal my crispy waves.

When I got my first job and saved enough money, I ordered my first ceramic straightening iron online. This was 2005 when the technology was still relatively new. It cost $100.00.

The results were amazing to me. The 100% ceramic transformed my course waves into shiny straight locks. I felt like a whole new woman and went off to college with confidence. 

It didn't take long for me to become addicted to the straightener. I never left my dorm without spending 30 minutes taming my mane. I still feared humidity, and God help me if it rained. 

Later came sulfate-free shampoo and Argan oil, both discoveries were on equal footing with the ceramic wonder. I was winning the battle against my hair!

Recently I decided that since I'm moving to a warmer climate, I want to start embracing my hair's natural texture. (Full disclosure: I also want to embrace current trends. Super-straight hair is SO five years ago. I use that phrase only semi-ironically.) I'm getting used to the awkward waves, but since treating my hair to healthier products, the frizz has settled down. Still, I find myself twitching when a certain lock of hair falls in what I deem and weird way. 

Going with my hair's flow is about relaxing and letting go of my perfectionist tendencies, live and let live. Here's where I realize that accepting my hair for what it is becomes a metaphor for accepting myself for who I am. I was awkward in uncomfortable in high school. During college and my early twenties I learned some lessons, some tips and tricks if you will, on how to be the person I wanted to be. I took those lessons and followed my heart, and they lead me to where I am today. I am comfortable with my flaws, and I'm slowly learning to see them not as flaws, but as the accessories to the outfit of my personality.

Great, now I'm making fashion analogies.


No comments:

Post a Comment