Thursday, October 17, 2013

Sometimes my feelings taste like Sauvignon Blanc

Monday was not a good day for me. I was not offered the job that I had three interviews for. It hit me that I have been searching for three months and I've had one phone interview, one series of interviews for the same job, and a trial run as a waitress which I turned down. Monday was a three-glasses-of-wine kind of night.

Seriously, SIMI should sponsor my pity parties.

When I was planning my job-seeking strategy for Austin, I knew we had enough money saved up that I could take my time looking for a career-oriented job and not just a bill-paying job. I've been passing over retail and dental office jobs for non-profit and PR jobs. I though by mid-October I'd be settled in somewhere, but it seems I have a way to go.

I'm trying not to act like an entitled millennial snot about it, but damn I feel like I've worked hard for this. I feel like I worked hard enough in school and at my first couple of post-grad jobs that I could start choosing my path instead of taking whatever job will have me.

Since I decided on my career path, I felt that going back to school would be the perfect fresh start. I could learn about the business of non-profits and arts administration in a classroom setting where I could be absolved of the sins of my undergrad years. I would work hard for straight-As, network through student organizations, and be eligible for student-only internships again. The rain on my parade has always been "can we afford it?"

After my wine-soaked pity party, Corey and I finally agreed that I should apply for grad school and if I get accepted, we will figure out financials form there. Whether I go full-time, part-time, or online will also be decided by where and when I get accepted. I have RSVP'd to two grad fairs for next week.

After finally coming to this decision, I feel like the little back rain cloud over me has dissipated. I feel like with grad school possibly on my horizon, taking a bill-paying job is not a defeat, but another brick in my path.

Study Space

No comments:

Post a Comment