Friday, September 13, 2013

Preparing for a non-interview interview

Tomorrow I will meet the executive director of a local music ensemble that is in need of an office manager. I attended my first SAI Austin Alumnae meeting last Sunday and one of the members is on the board of this ensemble. When she heard I was looking for work, she asked me to come to a concert this Saturday to meet the ED. The position is part-time, but I am willing to do anything to get a foot in the door of this music scene.

So now I am preparing to attend this concert with my most professional foot forward. It is important to take any meetings like this as seriously as any formal interview. I must prepare to look professional, ask good questions, talk about myself in a professional way, and have my resume at the ready.

Step One: Ensemble.

Not only is the a professional engagement for me, but the concert is going to be held in a church, so appropriateness is doubly important. It's still in the upper 90s in Austin, so I think a pretty shift dress with a modest neckline would be perfect.


This one is from Old Navy, my favorite store for inexpensive, age-appropriate garments. Perfect for the young professional on a budget. This dress covers me, it's comfortable, and it's perfectly business-casual. If this were a real interview, I would just add a structured jacket for a put-together look.

I have a pet peeve regarding shoes in professional situations: NO OPEN TOE! I try to stick with flats for interviews unless is with a really formal company. Again I'm going with Old Navy for my shoes. The straw-like material is a fun alternative to a leather or fabric flat.


I haven't worn them yet, so I'm breaking them in tonight. Happy early Halloween! :)


As for accessories, I'm going with a watch--an interview must-have--and a pretty bag that's big enough to hold an envelope with my resume.

Step Two: Conversation Prep

I can't really do regular interview prep because this is not really an interview, but I must be prepared to ask questions and talk about myself. Examples of good questions in this situation would be:

-What do you feel is the most important task of the office manager?
-Are you looking for just an office manager or do you need help with marketing, social media, development, education, etc?
-What are your goals for the ensemble this season?

These questions have specific answers that can lead to a meaningful conversation about the position and about my qualifications and previous experience. Also, I will not leave the conversation before getting an email address.

Step Three: Resume and Letter

I've printed out a fresh resume and written a short letter to go with it. The letter is slightly shorter than my normal cover letter, and includes a message of "nice to meet you, looking forward to seeing you again soon, etc."

It think with all this preparation, I am ready for my non-interview interview tomorrow. I promise I'll tell you how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment